12 May 2014

Sala Silver Mine @ Västmanland County, Sweden - Creepy Yet An Interesting Tour (155m Down Under)

The ore at this Sala Silver Mine was well known for its high silver content. The mine was first dated back in the 15th century until around 1908. Additional mining did occur even until the middle of 20th century too. So, it was really interesting to see how the government of the Swedish county preserves & maintains the mine, and they even placed a high capacity elevator in the mine itself to carry tourists and other stuffs down under whenever needed. Anyway, I felt really safe during the time of visit but I also kept wondering to myself whether the mine would actually collapse one day (as we all know, it is not a safe place to be at the mine area).....  
Signboard for the guided tour.
I recently checked that ticket price for the 155m underground mine visit is priced at 220 kronor. 
The map direction
A replica of the sala silver mine
Sala Mine Tower
This mining tour was a guided tour. Of course, how could one tour in such an exciting yet creepy & dangerous place without guidance? :-P
Before that, the tour conductor brought us to get our safety helmet and then off we went towards the elevator area in order for us to go all the way down to 155m!! Yesss, you read it right...it was that deep :D 

A high capacity elevator taking us down to 155m underground. 
The Miner's encarved metal frame
When I first stepped into the mine with my good friend, I saw the burning torch on the encarved metal frame logo of a miner with a pickaxe, a sudden thought of Snow White & the Seven Dwarves just came to my mind.
The temperature also dropped down to around 3 to 5 degrees Celsius when we've reached 155m underground. I could still remember that at first, I felt fine with my thick coat on but after touring for like more than half an hour, I think my body started to feel a bit of a hypothermia and I could sense that my nose was having a runny nose. 


                             The tour conductor with his flaming torch explaining at the mine                                  

First, the tour conductor told us to obey certain rules, which was not to speak foul languages, whistling or yelling throughout the journey as the belief was that, there's the "Lady in the Mine" who lives in the mine! o_O 

She's like a guardian/ protector for the fellow miners. In order to let her guard the miners or the fellow tourists like us who went down to her mine for a visit, we need to follow the basic steps of her rules. Basically, don't talk too much! Before starting our tour, each of us had to knock on the mine wall for 3 consecutive times to let the Lady knows about our existence. So, all this gave me goosebumps & made me feeling more chilly! *seriously* 

We had to keep following the tour conductor closely as he was the only one with the portable burning torch/ candle holder. It was a total darkness when you're inside the mine! 

All you could feel is only chilliness in the environment and you could either see a brightly lit area where the torch was shone, shadows or total darkness. The grounds were wet of course (probably with some puddles) and there was also water dripping down from the top part of the mine (ceiling?)
This was an English conducted tour btw. They have a certain allocated slot for different language guided tours. 
We walked a big round at the mine which included the Warm Hall where occasionally, concerts would be held here. When we entered the Warm Hall, basically, we could immediately feel that it was really warm of course (without my coat)! 
Other than that, they have got a mine Suite attached to a Banquet Hall as well. You could book the Suite to have your great, unforgettable moment in that Suite, if you wish to and perhaps if you're daring enough to have a night stay down there! ;-) 


The warm Banquet Hall
The exclusive dining area for two, attaching to the Suite
The exclusive Suite
Me, visiting the Suite

I guess it was really an extraordinary & a memorable, but at the same time creepy! It made me held my goodie's warmy & comfortable hand really tightly in which he made me feel really secured, even at 155m down under :-)
The tour lasted for around 1.5 hours. 

All in all, it was truly my first time having this wonderful experience of mine tour which I think I kept the excitement all to myself (not even to my good bestie)! *sings hi ho, hi ho song*



*peace* *smiles*
I look like a pweety cute construction worker here! lol~ wtf~
Silver products
Here's the official website to it, in case one may want to visit the mine one day:
http://www.salasilvergruva.se/



No comments: